The Piedmont Down Syndrome Support Network is a nonprofit organization which provides support and information to parents of children and adults with Down syndrome in the Piedmont area. Our aim is to support each other and enrich the lives of our children and adults so they can reach their full potential.
Our group meets periodically to encourage and strengthen each other, by striving to increase our knowledge, understanding and hope about Down syndrome. We host guest speakers and share new information, ideas and advice to become better advocates for our children.
The Piedmont Down Syndrome Support Network strives to ensure that individuals with Down syndrome in the Piedmont area are valued, included, and given the opportunities to pursue fulfilling lives. We accomplish these goals by providing information, networking opportunities, and advocacy for individuals with Down syndrome and their families, educators, health care professionals, and the community at large.
- To provide information, educational opportunities, and support for families with individuals with Down syndrome.
- To promote public awareness and better understanding of Down syndrome, its possibilities, its challenges, and its developments in education and treatment.
- To insist that appropriate programs for individuals with Down syndrome are available in all aspects of their lives, including education, recreation, worship, employment, and independent living.
- To protect and promote the rights of individuals with Down syndrome.
- To promote the training of competent and sensitive professionals to aid in the education, care, treatment, and hiring of individuals with Down syndrome.
- To address social policy issues and promoting research into areas that will enhance the quality of life and improve treatment for individuals with Down syndrome.